If you’re thinking of traveling from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls, you might be curious about the most convenient ways to reach your destination. You have several choices, including taking a flight, a bus, or driving yourself. This article will help you decide on the best approach to get to Iguazu Falls from Sao Paulo, and we’ll also offer some helpful tips to enhance your visit.
How Far Is Iguazu Falls From Sao Paulo?
Iguazu Falls is located approximately 1,300 kilometers (807 miles) to the southwest of Sao Paulo. By plane, the distance between the two places is approximately 1,050 kilometers (652 miles), and there are several airlines that operate daily flights. However, if you’d like to travel overland, the distance is similar but the duration of the trip can vary depending on how you choose to travel and which route you take.
Best Ways to Get To Iguazu Falls From Sao Paulo
There are multiple options available to reach Iguazu Falls from Sao Paulo, each with its own benefits and drawbacks. Therefore, it’s crucial to select the one that fits your requirements and budget. Flying, taking a bus, or driving are some of the most popular modes of transportation to reach Iguazu Falls. Regardless of whether you are pressed for time or seeking an exciting expedition, you can find a suitable approach to get to Iguazu Falls
Iguazu Falls From Sao Paulo by Plane
Visiting Iguazu Falls from Sao Paulo by air is a convenient and efficient way to make the journey. Here’s what you need to know about traveling to Iguazu Falls by air from Sao Paulo: First, choose the right airport. Sao Paulo has two major airports – Guarulhos International Airport (GRU) and Congonhas Airport (CGH). However, only Guarulhos offers direct flights to Foz do Iguaçu International Airport (IGU), which is the closest airport to Iguazu Falls. To make your trip to Iguazu Falls as smooth as possible, be sure to fly from Guarulhos International Airport (GRU) in Sao Paulo. If you have one day available, we can arrange a day trip from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls just for you.
How to Fly From Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls?
You have several options for booking flights from Sao Paulo to Foz do Iguaçu, including LATAM, Gol, and Azul. There are multiple flights available every day. Once you arrive at Foz do Iguaçu airport, you can easily find transportation to your hotel near the falls. Taxis are available outside the terminal, or you can pre-book a private transfer through your hotel or a local tour operator.
How Long Is the Flight From Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls?
The flight from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls takes approximately 2 hours. Several airlines operate direct flights between Guarulhos International Airport (GRU) in Sao Paulo and Foz do Iguaçu International Airport (IGU) near Iguazu Falls. However, the total travel time may vary depending on factors such as airport transfers, check-in and security procedures, and flight delays. It’s always a good idea to arrive at the airport early and allow extra time for any unexpected delays or issues.
Are There Direct Flights From Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls?
Yes, there are direct flights from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls. The nearest airport to the falls is the Foz do Iguaçu International Airport (IGU), and several airlines offer direct flights from Guarulhos International Airport (GRU) in Sao Paulo to IGU. The airlines that operate direct flights include LATAM, Gol, and Azul. The flight time is approximately 2 hours, and there are several flights available every day. However, it’s always a good idea to check with the airline or our company for the latest schedules and availability before booking your flight.
Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls by Bus
Traveling by bus from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls is an affordable and scenic option that offers a unique way to experience the beauty of Brazil’s diverse landscapes. With comfortable coaches and regular departures from the city, this journey is popular among budget-conscious travelers and those who prefer a more immersive travel experience.
How to Take a Bus From Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls?
If you want to travel from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls on a budget, taking a bus is a great option. Follow these steps to plan your journey:
- Choose your bus company: Pluma, Catarinense, and Reunidas are some of the bus companies that operate between Sao Paulo and Iguazu Falls. Check their schedules, prices, and availability by visiting their websites or contacting their customer service.
- Book your ticket: Once you’ve chosen your bus company, book your ticket online, over the phone, or at their ticket offices. Make sure to select the correct departure and arrival locations, as well as the date and time that suit your schedule.
- Arrive at the bus station: On the day of your departure, arrive at the bus station at least 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time. Some of the bus companies depart from the Tietê Bus Terminal in Sao Paulo, while others depart from other terminals or bus stops.
- Board the bus: Show your ticket and ID to the driver or attendant and board the bus. Find your seat, stow your luggage, and fasten your seatbelt.
- Enjoy the ride: The journey from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls by bus takes approximately 16-20 hours, depending on the route, stops, and traffic. Bring snacks, drinks, books, or electronic devices to entertain yourself during the trip.
- Arrive at Iguazu Falls: When you arrive at the bus station in Iguazu Falls, collect your luggage and proceed to your hotel or other destination. Take a taxi, shuttle bus, or public transportation to reach the falls or other tourist attractions.
Overall, taking a bus from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls is a cost-effective and scenic way to travel. However, it’s important to plan ahead, book your ticket in advance, and be prepared for a long journey. Bring enough food, water, and entertainment, as well as warm clothes or blankets, as the bus can get cold at night.
How Much Does a Bus Cost From Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls?
The price for a bus ticket from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls can range from USD 30 to USD 80 depending on the service category you book. It’s recommended that you book your ticket in advance, especially during peak travel seasons, to ensure availability and get the best price. If you’re planning on taking a long journey, consider choosing a higher class of service as it offers more comfortable seats, meals, and other amenities.
How Long is the Bus From Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls?
The duration of the bus journey from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls can vary depending on the bus company, route, traffic, and stops. However, the average travel time is around 16-20 hours. Some bus companies offer direct or semi-direct services that take less time, while others may have more stops or detours that prolong the journey.
For example, the Pluma bus company offers a direct service from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls that takes around 16 hours, while the Catarinense and Reunidas companies may have more stops and take up to 20 hours. It’s advisable to check the schedules and routes of different bus companies and choose the one that best fits your preferences and schedule.
During the bus journey, you can expect to see scenic landscapes, rural towns, and urban areas, as well as rest stops where you can stretch your legs, use the bathroom, or buy snacks and drinks. Most buses have reclining seats, air conditioning, and onboard entertainment systems to make the journey more comfortable.
To ensure a smooth trip, it’s recommended that you book your bus ticket in advance, especially during peak travel seasons. By doing so, you can ensure availability and potentially get a better price. Additionally, consider choosing a higher class of service if you’re planning on taking a long journey, as they offer more comfortable seats, meals, and other amenities.
Overall, taking a bus from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls can be a scenic and cost-effective way to travel, as long as you plan ahead and choose the right bus company and class of service for your needs.
Iguazu Falls From Sao Paulo by Car
While a road trip from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls offers many exciting opportunities, it’s important to note that it can be a long journey. The distance between these two destinations is significant, so you’ll need to plan for several hours of driving each day. However, if you enjoy the open road and the freedom to explore at your own pace, the journey can be a rewarding and memorable experience. With plenty of scenic stops and charming towns along the way, there’s no shortage of interesting places to visit during your journey to the majestic Iguazu Falls.
Driving Route from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls
To drive from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls, you can follow these general steps:
- Plan your route: There are several routes you can take from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls, including BR-116, BR-277, and PR-473. It’s advisable to use a GPS device or a map to plan your route, and check for tolls, gas stations, rest areas, and other important landmarks.
- Prepare your car: Before embarking on a long road trip, make sure your car is in good condition, has enough gas, oil, and water, and is equipped with a spare tire, jack, and other emergency tools. Check the weather forecast and pack appropriate clothing, food, water, and other supplies.
- Start early and take breaks: It’s recommended to start your journey early in the morning to avoid rush hour traffic and maximize daylight hours. Take regular breaks every 2-3 hours to stretch your legs, use the bathroom, and rest. Avoid driving at night, especially in rural areas, as the roads may be poorly lit and unsafe.
- Cross the border: When you approach the border between Brazil and Argentina, you will need to go through customs and immigration checks. Make sure to have your passport, car documents, and other required paperwork ready, and follow the instructions of the officers.
- Arrive at Iguazu Falls: When you reach Iguazu Falls, you can park your car at your hotel or at the public parking lots near the falls. You can explore the falls on foot, by shuttle bus, or by boat, and enjoy the stunning views and natural beauty.
Driving from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls by car can be a challenging but rewarding experience. It allows you to see the countryside, interact with locals, and have more flexibility and autonomy. However, it’s important to follow traffic rules, stay alert, and avoid driving in unsafe areas or conditions.
Driving Distance to Iguazu Falls From Sao Paulo
The driving distance from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls is approximately 1,150 km (715 miles), and the journey takes around 15-16 hours, depending on the route and traffic conditions. Given the length of the drive, it’s important to take necessary precautions and plan ahead.
If you’re planning to drive from Sao Paulo to Iguazu Falls, here are some helpful tips. There are several routes you can take, so it’s important to plan ahead and choose the one that best suits your preferences and needs. The most common routes include taking the BR-116, BR-153, and BR-277 highways. Before embarking on the drive, check the road conditions and weather forecast, especially during the rainy season (December to February). Given the length of the drive, it’s essential to take breaks and rest every few hours. Along the way, there are several rest stops and gas stations where you can refuel, rest, and grab a snack.
Make sure to bring all necessary documents, such as your driver’s license, car registration, and insurance. Also, be aware that some parts of the route may require a toll payment. Don’t forget to bring plenty of water, snacks, and necessary supplies, such as a spare tire, flashlight, and a first-aid kit. Lastly, it’s recommended to have a basic understanding of Portuguese or Spanish, as English may not be widely spoken in some areas
Recommendations & Tips for Your Visit to Iguazu Falls
Here are some recommendations and tips for your visit to Iguazu Falls:
- Planning in advance: It’s always a good idea to plan your visit to Iguazu Falls in advance, especially if you’re visiting during the high season (December to February). This can help you avoid long lines and make the most of your time there. Of course, you can always check our guide on when is the best time to visit Iguazu Falls.
- Bring necessary supplies: Make sure to pack comfortable shoes, sunscreen, insect repellent, a hat, and a rain jacket, as the weather can be unpredictable. You may also want to bring a waterproof bag or cover for your camera. See more information about what to wear & pack for Iguazu Falls.
- Visit both the Argentine and Brazilian sides: Since the falls are located on the border between Argentina and Brazil, it’s recommended to visit both sides to get different perspectives and views of the falls. We have many tours & vacation packages to visit both sides of Iguazu Falls.
- Boat tour: Taking a boat tour is a great way to experience the falls up close and feel the power of the water. You can take a boat tour from both the Argentine and Brazilian sides.
- Trails to explore: There are several trails in the park that you can explore to see the falls from different angles and heights. Some of the popular trails include the Upper Circuit, Lower Circuit, and Devil’s Throat Trail.
- Wildlife watching: The park is home to a variety of wildlife, such as coatis, monkeys, and toucans. While it’s exciting to see these animals, make sure to keep a safe distance and avoid feeding them.
- Respect the environment: It’s important to practice Leave No Trace principles and respect the environment by not littering or disturbing the flora and fauna.
It’s definitely worth visiting Iguazu Falls from Sao Paulo. While it’s a long drive or flight (approximately 1,150 km or 715 miles), Iguazu Falls is one of the most spectacular natural wonders in the world, and it’s an experience you won’t forget. Visiting this destination offers a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in nature and witness the power and beauty of the falls up close. Both the Argentine and Brazilian sides offer different but equally breathtaking perspectives and views of the falls.
Aside from the falls themselves, the surrounding area is also worth exploring. You can visit national parks and reserves, such as the Iguazu National Park and the Parque das Aves (bird park), where you can see a diverse range of wildlife and bird species. There are also several adventure activities available, such as zip-lining, hiking, and boat tours. In conclusion, if you’re looking for an unforgettable natural experience and enjoy being surrounded by stunning natural beauty, visiting Iguazu Falls from Sao Paulo is definitely worth it